Build Your Medicine Cabinet Naturally – Starting at the Basics
I’ve been meaning to write this article for some time, after all it answers many of the questions that I get daily over the last 7 years of practice!
This could easily be pages and pages longer, but it is meant to be a starting point to help you and your family build a safe and effective way to use natural remedies around the house. If I’ve learned anything in my experience with natural remedies, the sooner you start using them in defense of something, the more effective they seem to be. In other words, have them around the house and don’t be afraid to use them!
This is the first in a series of four, and includes the basics for both adults and pediatrics. The other articles will include first aid support, immune support, and random natural remedies.
Of course, there are many more things to have in your toolbox than what I’ve listed below. Regular chiropractic, restful sleep, a healthy, local, organic diet and time spent being active go a long way. But, here are some supplements that will help give you that well-deserved boost;
THE BASICS – Adult Natural Remedies
- Probiotics– Immune health, brain and mental health, digestive health, skin health … there literally isn’t a place in your body that is not positively affected by introducing good bacteria. I think variety is best, so rotate between a few brands every other bottle or so to keep things fresh. I think Prescript Assist, Organixx ProBiotixx, and MegaSporeBiotic are great choices to have in your lineup. If you’ve recently been through a stint of antibiotics or have some serious issues to work through, Xymogen’s ProbioMax 350 DF and Garden of Life’s Primal Defense are much more potent.
- Vitamin C– Very affordable and incredibly effective, this needs to be a staple in your daily routine to help keep your immune system firing on all cylinders. 1,000 mg daily dosing is the low end for adults, but playing around with how you respond to higher levels is a great way to optimize your health. There are many different forms, but our favorite is Lipo Natural’s Liposomal Vitamin C but beware of the taste! If you’re more a capsule person, Pure Synergy’s Pure Radiance C or Healthforce’s Truly Natural C are excellent, whole food forms.
- Vitamin D3– Lots of options to get it, especially if you live in Naples, Florida like us! Since D3 is so important, ideally you’d have your specific blood levels tested to know exactly how much you may or may not need for supplementation. I really like Garden of Life’s RAW D3, mykind Organic’s chewable D3, or Megafoods D3. All of these are sourced from food sources, not made in a lab. If you don’t have your specific blood levels, taking between 3,000 to 5,000 IUs daily is recommended.
- Greens Powder– Most folks aren’t getting enough fresh fruits and veggies in even though we have more access to them than ever before! Having a greens powder acts as a safety net and takes some stress off of having a perfect diet.Dynamic Fruits and Greens, Garden of Life Superfood Powder, or even tiny tablets of algea called Energy Bits would be at the top of the list. My wife and I love mixing a some of the “Espresso” flavor Dynamic Fruits and Greens into our morning smoothie with some coffee and chocolate protein powder, YUM!
- Energy – Our modern world demands more and more from us, but the promise of technology making things easier never seems to come to fruition! Maybe its just me? The antioxidants, mitochondrial support and anti-inflammatory help from these supplements are crucial to minimize the effects of our stressful lives. MitoThera from Prothera, Mito2Max from doTERRA, Xymogen’s Brain Sustain and eNRG from Systemic Forumulas have all been game changers from many parents / athletes / business owners and other patients of LIFEstrength Health Center over the years.
THE BASICS – Pediatric Natural Remedies
- Probiotics– Colic, weakened immune systems, ear infections, ADD / ADHD and learning disabilities can all be supported with consistent probiotics usage. For infants, Klaire Lab’s Infant probiotics in a powder form is excellent and Klaire Lab’s Childrens Chewable probiotics are great choices, although both need to be kept cold at all times … including shipping. Introducing fermented foods like sauerkraut or kombucha at a young age is super smart too! Not all brands are created equal, choosing a quality product is key for best results.
- Vitamin C– 1,000 mg daily dosing is the start for kiddos too, but I would recommend going up at the first sign of any sickness. Vitamin C dosing introduces bowel tolerance, meaning you can only do so much at once or else … tummy aches and diarrhea. It’s OK, the body is just getting it out! Lipo Natural’s Liposomal Vitamin C, but Healthforce’s Truly Natural C and Thorne’s Buffered C are both in powdered form if that is easier to hide in a smoothie for your kiddos.
- Vitamin D3– Get those kids in the sun more, seriously, and stop using all that toxic sunscreen (that’s a topic for another day)! mykind Organic’s liquid or chewable D3 for the kiddos at about 3,000 IUs daily are perfect, food-based supplements. Bump up with the vitamin C at the first sign of sickness.
- Greens Powder– Picky eaters are common with kiddos and a greens powder is there to silence your fears as a parent. The Berry flavor from Dynamic Fruits and Greens provides 20+ servings packed into a great tasting powder you can mix into water, applesauce, smoothie or more for instant approval. YUM!
- Calming –We talked about boosting energy with adults, but lets talk about things that can help calm our little ones. Bioray makes a liquid probiotics / cleansing blend called Sleepy, Calm, and Happy that we’ve personally and professionally seen great results with. Essential oils like Lavender, Vetiver or blends like Serenity can be applied topically with a carrier oil or diffused in the air 30-60 minutes before bedtime.
At the end of the day, this list could grow and grow. I want you to know that these helpful tips and products are just pieces to the puzzle that is health. Supporting a whole body, whole life approach is the key to health and happiness for all ages. No matter where you are at now, your health future can be greater than your health history.
As always, reach out to Dr. Cade and LIFEstrength Health Center for more help or questions at 239-774-5433.