So, youve got some really bad stomach pain. You have a bit of a headache. Sleep well that is not working out too well because of the pain. Because of all that, you’re not in the best mood. And, to top it off, every time you try and let someone know, they are not listening or helping!
To be honest, I would cry, would you?
For many newborns, this is how they start life in the first few months. For many new parents, the frustration can be overwhelming.As a father of 3 little ones, Ive felt the most helpless when Ive failed to calm my children.
Years ago, colic was first thought to be merely indigestion. The most widely accepted definition of colic today is unexplainable and uncontrollable crying in babies from 0 to 3 months old, more than 3 hours a day, more than 3 days a week for 3 weeks or more, usually in the afternoon and evening hours.
Does this sound familiar in your household or someone you love?
In the conventional medicine world, things still haven’t progressed much further than this way of thinking. A quick search online shows that there isn’t much help, other than waiting it out or is there?
What is the Root Cause?
The cause of colic is usually multifactorial and the issues that I see in practice most are food sensitivities, digestive stress and nerve system irritation from the birthing process.
This list below of easy, natural methods have a great track record in helping babies and parents who are suffering with colic.
- Food? The food that mom is eating determines the quality of the breast milk like fat and protein content and more. For best results, the first things to eliminate from moms diet are dairy, eggs, grains, raw veggies, spicy foods, nuts and seeds, and caffeine. What the heck is left !? I usually recommend starting one by one, keeping that particular item out of rotation for up to 2 weeks and seeing how baby responds before moving on to the next.
- Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes The bacterial balance in moms gut one of the most pivotal factors in a newborns health. Up opportunity for positive changes using Prescript Assist probiotics for mom and a digestive enzyme like Digest Gold.
- Leaky Gut? Leaky gut has been gaining momentum for years now, and if you havent had a chance to get tested or take action to correct it, it may be the missing piece to babys colic and your health woes.? This one is huge!
- Stress? The silent killer, if moms stress level is high (you just had a baby, cmon!) it will change the composition of the milk, moms bacterial balance and energy levels that baby can sense. There are a million ways to go about this one, but finding a balance in your life with a newborn isnt easy. Finding support from your spouse, family, a community of like-minded folks to meditation and prayer are all great places to start.
- Breastmilk vs. Formula? Nursing is the best choice, but it doesnt always work out the best. If you must use a formula, choose a natural one and get familiar with all the ingredients. Many parents that Ive met over the years have been unable to nurse for various reasons, so Ive developed a formula based from local goat milk and fortified to match breastmilk as closely as possible.You can email the office for the recipe at Staff@LIFEstrengthChiro.com
- Probiotics? Yes, you should be giving baby probiotics right from the start theyre that important in building a healthy foundation. We use Klaire Labs Infant probiotics; they come in a powder and are somewhat easy to give baby. Make sure you buy them / ship them cold!
- Massage? For a baby! Absolutely, and youll both enjoy every minute of it. One of the best options for colic is the I Love You that focuses on increasing the motility of the digestive tract. Use some gentle, unprocessed and organic oils like coconut or jojoba.
- Essential Oils Hidden in the some of the most unique spots in nature, essential oils have been safely used for hundreds of years. Who would have thought that the oil from tea trees has antibiotic effects or the sap from boswellia trees have anti mutagenic effects? Getting back to colic, essential oils like lavender, chamomile, fennel, ginger, and anise can all have calming effects on the gut. You can get those separate or buying a blend from someone like doTERRA or Young Living may be easier As always use guidance with oils, my favorite resource is The Essential Life book.
Finally, we get to the item that simply cannot be missed. Pediatric chiropractic care is even more important that everything I listed above for colicky babies. Why?
- The nerve system controls health and healing in all the other systems of the body including the digestive and muscular system.?? By removing irritation and interference from the nerve system, it allows the others systems to function properly. That means proper communication to control digestion, absorption and waste / excretion.? The muscular system includes the muscular sphincters of the stomach and gut, controlling the speed or motility as the milk passes through.
- The birthing process put a tremendous strain on baby with both natural / vaginal birth and C-sections.? The rotation of head, while necessary to come through the birth canal, is estimated to leave an impact on almost all newborns,
- Colic symptoms could be the sign of something bigger.
- The research supports it.
- It is safe, gentle and incredibly effective. Thousands of new parents in our office alone have sworn by the results over the years and thousands more in pediatric chiropractic offices around the globe.
Many think of chiropractic as a quick fix for pain or headaches. Ill never forget when I first understood that chiropractic is all about the nerve system; I made a promise to share that with everyone I met going forward.
I hope this article helped you and your family, especially if youre looking to stay away from medicine, help your little one get healthier naturally and to promote a lifetime of family wellness.