Although it is becoming more and more of a common term within the boundaries of the healthcare system, Functional Medicine is still a new term for many. So what is it?
Functional Medicine is the future of healthcare. Quite a bold introduction right? The reason why it is so revolutionary is philosophy behind the care. Take these quote by leaders of this new movement;
“We are humans, yes, but we are really ecological systems. The real importance of this in the future of medicine is in the recognition that it may be possible to treat people and to treat illness by addressing the ecology of the human being rather than just attempting to suppress the disease.” Dr. Leo Galland
“Functional Medicine is common sense medicine. It’s the medicine we thought we were going to learn in medical school. There is a gross mismatch between the medical education system and the healthcare needs of our population. Functional Medicine has to be the medicine of today.” Dr. Rangan Chatterjee
From this, we can understand a few things;
- Functional Medicine is not about treating symptoms, rather its about finding out the reason why they are present in the first place and correcting that naturally.
- Functional Medicine looks at the whole person, that person’s daily life routine, and finally the short and long term effects of the natural treatment to help the body heal.
- Functional Medicine address health restoration and health maintenance.
This is supported by Dr. Mark Hyman’s quote, “Health is a state of balance. When your biological systems are out of balance, disease occurs.” Dr. Hyman is a chairmen of the Institute of Functional Medicine and is currently helping the Functional Medicine movement become mainstream by collaborating with the Cleveland Clinic with great success.
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU
The short answer; in a lot of ways! Skipping all the details, here is an overview;
1. Don’t Guess…Test – The goal of delivering the best possible care starts here. LIFEstrength Health Center and Dr. Cade will using cutting-edge testing to find the root cause of your symptoms. There is a comprehensive list below of all the testing we do in our office.
2. “Lifestyle Medicine” – After testing and finding out the “why,” it is now time take action to bring balance back to your system. From supplements and nutrition, to exercise and stress management, or even detoxification and cleansing, this part of care works to remove and repair the reason why you’re not well in the first place. For most, this is the hardest aspect of care (yes, for Dr. Cade too!) because it demands a change in life habits, choices and behaviors. Perfection isn’t required, thank God, but a ready heart and mind are absolutely needed. During your care, Dr. Cade will put together recommendations for your specific case that include the many aspects of your life and health.
Here is a short list of the many tests we perform at the office. Again, the goal is to go beyond the symptoms and find out why they are present in the first place. Many times, where you see or feel the symptom isn’t where the problem is. Click on any of the links to see more info and a sample test.
- Organic Acids Test– This urine test is great place to start to find essential nutrient or diet modification needs, neurotransmitter dysfunction, carbohydrate metabolism and mitochondrial energy production.
- Fatty Acid Balance – It’s all about balance! What are your fats trying to tell you?
- Toxic Effects– What have you been exposed to over the years and what is it doing to your health? This measures the body burden of our lifelong accumulation to food additives, industrial chemicals, pesticides and more.
- Comprehensive Stool – Test your microbiome, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic balance, GI distress and inflammtion, complete digestive condition and it’s relation to the rest of the body’s health.
MERIDIAN VALLEY LABS
- Comprehensive Hormones – A complete view of estrogens, androgens, cortisol, adrenal health and melotonin production. This dried urine test is the new industry standard.
- Food Sensitivity Draw – IgG and IgE food allergy testing via a blood draw. The combo kit used tests against 190 different foods.
- Food Sensitivity Spot – Same as the above test, but a better option for kiddos. This test doesn’t require a blood draw and instead relies on “finger prick.” Tests against food antigens.
- Comprehensive Thyroid – There is more to your thyroid than you think!? This test checks all the available markers for a real look at your thyroid health. Important for tough diagnosis like Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.
- Leaky Gut – This is one the most important tests within Functional Medicine. ?Local Naples neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter, author of the books Grain Brain and Brain Maker, said”Heal the gut. And that’s coming from a brain specialist. The brain is miles away from the gut. If we heal the gut, all inflammation will fall into place.”
- Autoimmune Reactivity Screen– Early diagnosis, sometimes 10 years, of critical and life-altering autoimmune activity. Helps address tissue damage to organs of the body.
- Food Immune Reactivity – We can’t talk health and not talk food! Get to the root of food sensitivities including cooked, raw, or modified and create a personalized wellness strategy. Starts at 180 different foods or can be customized for your case.
- Chemical Immune Reactivity – Test for sensitivities for mold, chemicals and metals as the root to immune weakness.
- Cardiac Health
- Neurotransmitters – Mood, stress, sleep…this is an amazing test that can show the balance of the nerve system
GREAT PLAINS LABS
- Organic Acids
- Glyphosate (Round-up) –
- Toxic Chemicals
- Vitamin D3 – More of a hormone than a vitamin, this nutrient is key to the immune system, hormone production, genetic expression and more.? We use a simple “finger prick,” no blood draw or lab visit is needed.
- Toxic & Essential Nutrient – This urine test measures exposure to toxic metals like aluminum, mercury, and lead while also looking at key nutrients like potassium, sodium, selenium and more.
- Toxic Hair – Much like the test above, just using hair instead of urine. This one tests for mercury, aluminum, lead, and much more.
- Urine Halides – Should you be taking iodine?? Should you be filtering your tap water to remove fluoride? How is your body responding to the chlorine in your backyard pool? Fluoride, Chlorine and Bromide are all tested.